Celebrate Christmas in Little Falls, Dec. 14th, 2013!
Visit Little Falls and Enjoy these Fun Events for the Whole Family!
The historic city of Little Falls, situated on the banks of the Erie Canal and the Mohawk River, becomes a magical holiday setting decorated with colorful lights and festive ribbons, as the community celebrates the 6th annual Christmas in Little Falls, December 14th, 2013.
Sponsored by the businesses and not-for-profit agencies serving Little Falls, the holiday celebration offers a full range of activities, with highlights including historical tours, free horse and carriage rides, visiting with Santa Claus, caroling, and a spectacular Indoor Farmers’ Market and Artisans’ Fair. On this page you will find descriptions of some of our favorite fun events for the whole family!
FREE Horse & Carriage Tours!
Take a FREE Horse & Carriage tour of historic downtown Little Falls! The tours depart from the Historical Society Museum on Ann Street, beginning at 10am and running until 1pm. This fun and free event is sponsored by the generosity of the Little Falls Family YMCA and Harry and Kevin Enea at Enea Family Funeral Homes..
Santa Claus Comes to Little Falls!
What could be cooler and more fun for your child than visiting with Santa Claus? The people of Little Falls have jumped through hoops to bring this busy holiday celebrity to our hometown and to best arrange his schedule for your conveninence and enjoyment! Santa arries in town at 8:45 am, on a shiny red Little Falls Fire Department firetruck, and he will proceed to fire the starting gun for Red Nose Reindeer Run at the YMCA at 9am. Next, the brave firefighters of the LFFD escort Santa to the Little Falls Fire Station at the corner of Main Street and William Street, where your child can visit with Santa from about 9am-10:45am! Finally, from 11am-1pm, your child may pose with Santa at the Knights Inn; high-quality photography is available! This traditional Little Falls Christmas event is sponsored by the brave firefighters of the Little Falls Fire Department, and the Frontier Council Girls Scouts!
Red Nose Reindeer 5K Fun Run!
Celebrate the holidays with a fun race for all ages through the scenic neighborhoods of Little Falls, NY! The course is mostly flat with a few hills. The race starts at the Little Falls Family YMCA and ends on Main Street in front of Ed & Bud’s. Locker room and showers are available at the YMCA. There will be post-race refreshments, and an awards ceremony. Entry fee is $20 and includes an official race T-shirt; youth age 12 and under are free, and may purchase a race T-shirt for $6. Call 823-9200 for more information! Prizes For: Top Male/Female, Top Youth, Best Costume, Top Team (5 or more). Registration opens at 8am at the YMCA; the race begins with Santa Claus firing the starting gun at 9am. Download the official race application here!
The Voice of Little Falls Talent Contest!
Enter the Voice of Little Falls talent competition and win big prizes and even bigger bragging rights! The show is hosted by the beloved and renowned radio personality Hank Brown; judges include Jay Ewanyk, Jane Malin and Rod Youker. Sound by Mike Catalina! The show runs from 11am-1pm, December 14th, 2013, at The Renaissance, 550 E. Main Street. Download your Official Entry Form today!
Free Cultural Events and Music!
Is there any better way to get into the Christmas spirit than with great seasonal music and Christmas stories? Be sure not to miss these great events:
- Film Marathon! Enjoy a FREE showing of Frozen at 1pm, followed by a marathon of FREE showings of the great holiday classics until the wee hours of the morning. Donations are gladly accepted for the Valley Cinema Go Digital or Go Dark campaign!
- A Christmas Carol! Enjoy a FREE readers’ theater version of Charles Dickens’ classic holiday tale, A Christmas Carol, at 11am at the Little Falls Community Center! This is a special version of the tale, adapted for families of all ages. Children are welcome!
- Grown-Up Story Hour! For six months now, the monthly "Grown-Up Story Hour" has been gaining popularity in Little Falls, as dozens of people have gathered to hear readings ranging from Flannery O'Connor short stories to great Irish poets such as Yeats. For Christmas in Little Falls, we will enjoy two readings around the theme of nativity: a clever and delightful story by Alan Gurganus of women becoming heroic at a bridge party, and a wondrous nostalgic Christmastime poem by Dylan Thomas. Grown-Up Story Hour begins at 4:30pm at Ole Sal's!"
- Seasonal Music! Enjoy the seasonal music of the Benton Hall Hand Bell Chorus, followed by piano and instrumental recitals by Benton Hall and LFHS students. Starts at at the Mohawk Valley Center for the Arts.
- Homeward Bound! Get into the Holiday spirit with the amazing spiritual and seasonal music of the Homeward Bound choir, directed by Jane Malin, at the Mohawk Valley Center for the Arts starting at 2:30pm!.
- Heard and the Wonderfish! Rock with the fantastic new local band phenomenon, Heard and the Wonderfish! Enjoy the trendy music, along with a wine-tasting and great food, at the Piccolo Café from 2-4pm!
- Oscar Stivala and Friends! Chill-out to the jazzy beat of local artists Oscar Stivala and Friends, at the Raven’s Watch Antiques and Art Gallery from 5:30-7:30pm!
- Common Ground! End the day relaxing with friends to the sounds of Common Ground, at the Shu-Maker Mountain Sports Complex starting at 9pm, with a $5 donation to HALO & Herkimer County Humane Society.
Waiters’ races began in Paris in the 1930s, and in Little Falls the bartenders’ race was once a favorite during the Canal Celebration. Come enjoy thes resurrection of the great event during Christmas in Little Falls with our First Annual Waiter/Waitress Race and cheer on your favorite staff from our great local restaurants and pubs! Race starts at 10am at The Renaissance! Download your pledge forms here !
Christmas is a time of giving, and of supporting our favorite charities. You can support the needy by enjoying the tasty, homemade soups and stews of the area’s finest chefs! Be sure to visit Soup Fest along Main Street! Soup Fest, now in its second year, is sponsored by the Little Falls Family YMCA. If you wish to make a soup and raise money for YOUR favorite charity, get the event application here.
Historical Tours and Events!
Visit the Little Falls Historical Society Museum between 9am and 2pm on Saturday, and see the special Christmas-themed exhibit! This year the museum features fascinating displays on wintertime life and recreation in our historical Erie Canal city! Afterwards, walk up to take a guided tour of the historical WCA mansion on Garden Street, and enjoy the special Christmas decorations.
Fun Children’s Activities
Gather at the Little Falls Community Center on Saturday from 9am to 1pm for awesome children's activites! Decorate Christmas cookies, sponsored by the Hannah's Signature Cakes! Make holiday cards and friendship bracelets for soldiers overseas, sponsored by Jeff and Pat Gressler! There are also other activities for children, such as games, crafts, coloring and story time. This fun event is brought to you by the Little Falls High School FBLA Club.
Eating Rudolph - Enjoy Traditional Lappish Reindeer Stew!
In Finland and Norway, Santa’s cute helpers, the reindeer, were not only useful for sleigh-drawing purposes; they were also used in order to feed Santa Claus and with him, the whole population of Lapland. The indigenous Sami people of Finland traditionally called themselves reindeer men (poromiehet), raising reindeer both as draught animals and as meat. Reindeer meat is a true Lappish treasure, as it is tender and includes copious amounts of protein, so-called good fats, minerals, and vitamins. Nutritious reindeer meat provides a perfect way to fight the Arctic cold!
This year you too can enjoy the traditional Scandinavian delicacy of sautéed reindeer (poronkäristys) during Christmas in Little Falls! Be sure to stop by the Eating Rudolph booth on Main Street to sample Red Nose Reindeer Stew (based on a traditional Norwegian reindeer stew called Finnbiff), and the original Lappish Bithos Reindeer Soup!
At 10-11am, the Little Falls Library is teaming up with Fall Hill Bead and Gem to do a kids program. Kim Hergert from Fall Hill Bead and Gem will be in the Little Falls Library's Community Room helping children make holiday-themed beaded bracelets. This event is FREE, but space is limited to the first 30 chilren to come!
Organic Valley Holiday Foods Tasting!
Visit the Little Falls Community Co-Op, 589 Albany Street in downtown Little Falls, on Friday afternoon for a tasting of delicious all-organic dairy and meat products, as well as displays and information on organic food sponsored by Organic Valley Co-Op! The Co-Op is also sponsoring cheese-tasting on Satruday.
Walk Like a Victorian!
Be sure to dress up in Victorian attire, or as your favorite Victorian or Dickensian character, and stroll about our lovely community with its scenic and historic Victorian-era homes, mills and buildings during Christmas in Little Falls. There will be prizes awarded for awesome costumes and themes, as well as special prizes awarded on the spot for groups or families who all dress-up and get in the spirit of a traditional, Victorian Christmas!
Christmas Cookie Exchange!
Bring three dozen cookies to The Shops at 25 West, and exchange cookies with your friends and neighbors! Yum yum!
Enjoy Awesome Shopping in Little Falls!
Welcome to scenic Little Falls, New York … a great place to visit, and a GREAT place to shop! Little Falls is a gem of a small city in Upstate New York. Our local businesses offer everything from the mundane, such as groceries and farm supplies, to the exotic, such as fine art, antiques and handcrafted jewelry!
While you are in Little Falls, be sure to check out the awesome and unique shopping opportunities at our fine local shops! To learn more about the many shopping and dining opportunities in our fine city, visit the ShopLittleFallsNY.com website, here you find a directory of business, complete with reviews and profiles. If you are visiting Little Falls for just a day or two, then this brief shopping guide will help you plan your time by showing you where to go to find the shops and deals that will delight you the most.
Other Fun Events on the Weekend of Christmas in Little Falls!
The weekend of Christmas in Little Falls is a busy time with plent of great cultural events for you to enjoy! Be sure to check out:
- Olive Branch Ball! Join us on Friday, December 13th, starting at 8pm, at the DeCarlo Staffo Post, Loomis Street Ext., Little Falls! Listen to great local talent & members of your favorite local bands such as: Dick Solberg (Sun Mountain Fiddler), JAB and OTHERS! Plus sitting in as special guest, world-famous banjo-player Eric Weissberg whose hit single “Dueling Banjos” was the theme song of the Burt Reynolds/Jon Voight film Deliverance. For more information download the event poster here!
- Gala Fundraiser Ball! Come out to the Knight's Inn from 4-7pm on Sunday for a fundraiser Gala Ball to support Valley Cinema's Go Digital or Go Dark Campaign! Call Chris Anderson at 867-8894 for more information!
Don’t Miss This Special Holiday Celebration!
We invite you to make Christmas in Little Falls part of your Holiday tradition. Join in the good, old-fashioned fun in our scenic town, and make this a holiday to remember! For more information, please feel free to contact Christine Van Meter, the event Chairperson.
Get Directions to Little Falls New York: